Objectives of the 5th MFW
The 5th MFW will promote the theme of restoration in the Mediterranean , to unite around the various initiatives in forests in connection with the Rio conventions, and realize these initiatives through an ambitious agenda of actions on the field and mobilizing collectively all technical and financial partners of the Mediterranean basin.
The targeted objectives will be :
- To strengthen exchanges and synergies between global stakeholders in the restoration of Mediterranean forests and landscapes.
- To help achieve SDG 15, especially target 15.3, by supporting efforts on the restoration of degraded lands in the Mediterranean.
- To contribute to Aichi target 15 of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) by facilitating the conservation and restoration of biodiversity in Mediterranean forest ecosystems.
- To facilitate the mitigation and adaptation of Mediterranean forest landscapes to climate change, as well as the achievement of non-carbon benefits in order to support the implementation of Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) as part of Article 5 of the Paris Agreement.
- To reach the land degradation neutrality goals set by the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) by actively promoting forest restoration.